Friday, May 08, 2009

My Worst eBay Purchase

Rant ahead. You've been warned.

Ryan and I scored big time a couple years ago when we stumbled upon a HUGE sale from Toys'r'Us. We found TONS of boardgames for less than $5, often less than that. Our favorites are the Michael Graves edition Yahtzee and Scrabble that we have. I wanted to round out our set with Monopoly (which I think is the last of the big name games he designed for Target a few years ago - I could be wrong).

I turned to eBay, of course. I didn't want to pay more than $20, but I ended up paying $25, plus $10 for shipping. I know, right? $35 for a board game we could find for less than $15 down the street at the new walmart. But like I said, this was a special edition.

These are the pictures the seller included and the description.

Item Specifics - Board and Traditional Games
Condition: New

NEW NEVER OPENED PACKAGES ON THIS RENOWNED ARTIST MICHAEL GRAVES SIGNED EDITION MONOPOLY GAME. IT HAS IVORY DIE AND ALL PIECES ARE IN THE VELVET LINED DRAWER. THE HOMES AND APARTMENTS ARE IN THE ROYAL BLUE BAGS AND THERE IS INSTRUCTIONS AS WELL. NEW NEVER OPENED PACKS OR PLAYED.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On Apr-25-09 at 20:04:04 PDT, seller added the following information:

the artist signiture is printed on the board, not signed like a autograph, sorry if i was not clear. the packs are un-opened so it has not been played and the box front is nice but has minor shelf wear. it is the michael graves designed game.






It got here today. Here's the email I sent to the seller. {Keep in mind, he accepts returns within 7 days, but I have to pay shipping (again) when he's to blame!}


Hi,

I just received this game today and I'm quite disappointed.
It was grossly misrepresented in your description.
While the pieces themselves are in unopened packaging,
the game board itself has more dings and dents than 'normal shelf wear' would imply.
Also, the hinges on the board itself are completely broken -
definitely NOT in new condition.

I'd like a refund of the entire transaction. I'm happy to send this back to you.

Thank you,

me
Why can't people be more honest!? I definitely wouldn't sell this game as new to ANYONE. In fact, I don't know if I'd even sell it. Look at the pictures below and you'll know what I'm talking about.







Those hinges are horrible! And the dark chip is definitely not minor shelf wear.

I'm so sad.

2 comments:

Evie B. said...

Ugh. That bumms me out.

Micah and Melinda said...

Ugh lets find the seller and shave him bald!