Sunday, November 26, 2006

Waking Up at Midnight

So, it came, it went, and in the madness, I conquered.

I didn't really go to bed on Thanksgiving Day based on the line of crazy people we saw lined up at Best Buy at 1pm that afternoon. If we wanted that TV we'd been lusting after, it looked like my plan of 1am wasn't going to cut it....and it's a good thing I modified my thinking.

I got to the parking lot at midnight, maybe midnight thirty, after picking up a 24 oz cup of hot chocolate...first of all...the hot chocolate...bad idea. I have to go to the bathroom often enough already and drinking 24 oz at midnight with an estimated 5 hours of no bathroom...clearly I wasn't in my right mind. I was in my war mind.

So after alternately turning on the car/heater and staying under blankets for 3 hours and reading a book by the glow of the parking lot light, I saw a rush of people through the rearview mirror heading for the front door and I made a bolt out of the car with two fleece blankets, my debit card, and my phone....all the while my dear husband slept warm in our comfy bed at home... :)

After waiting what seemed an eternity, the Best Buy boys and girls started asking people what vouchers they wanted, starting from the front of the line and heading back to me, the 150th-ish person.

I made small talk with the people around me for an hour, wishing I'd not worn sandals in the 20-degree and hoped I wasn't standing in line for nothing.

Around 4:15am they finally got to me and asked if anyone was there for LCD tv's...heck yes I am!

So I got the voucher with the guarantee of the tv if paid for before 9am, letting me go home and visit the bathroom and warm up next to my sleeping husband and not have to worry about dashing with the other crazies when the doors opened in an hour.

What a great morning. I think I'll do it again next or no.


exclusive_remedy said...

That is way cool that you got the tv you wanted, and I really like that they give out vouchers so you don't have to fight your way around like the crazies. How does that work though, do you just pay for the tv and then pick it up after? Or what? Whatever the case you got your tv and you are now both happy. How big is it? And why didn't you make Ry-ry wait in line? Maybe next time I will go with you - if I am around that is.

C+R said...

Ry had to work at 7 that morning, which meant waking up at 6:15 so he could shower and be there on time. So the voucher thing was cool.. They were all numbered and were valid until 9am. I just had to take the voucher with me to the register before 9am and pay for it, then take the receipt around to the back and have them load up the goodies. You should totally come next time. I hope you're around! I don't want to think about you leaving...sad.