Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pumpkin Patch

Things are freezing here. We had to finally break down yesterday and turn on our heater. And then we endured about 30 minutes of that burning plastic smell you get when you turn on the heater after a good 8 months of non-use. We really love our little town. I think it's the perfect mix of city conveniences and enough charm to call it a town. I've fallen in love with it. The Autumn weather here is breathtaking. I'm one who likes to throw open the windows and let the crisp air fill the house and just snuggle under a blanket and lounge in sweatpants, but Ryan finally got cold enough to shut the windows and turn on the heater. The only downside to the Fall is the midday rainstorms. It will be a beautiful day and then BOOM! it's pouring. And it lasts for a good 4-5 hours, turning the once-clear sky a solemn gray and hiding the sun for the rest of the afternoon.


This afternoon we were both sitting on the couch, each busy on our laptops {which isn't unusual} and we got a streak of spontaneity and went to a pumpkin patch. I was on the hunt for some white pumpkins and some lumpy-bumpy gourds and we found out one place had a hayride and a few activities for kids. It was ADORABLE. Everything was so picturesque. We ended up with about 9 pumpkins {I know, right?!} and only spent about $2 on each, which compared to the grocery store price of $4 each, is a steal! Plus, I'd never been to an honest-to-goodness pumpkin patch and it was a fun experience.



We're hosting a Halloween party at our house on Friday. It's kind of an odd situation how it came about, since we're not the ones throwing the party. One of the couples in our ward is having one but I know our house is a lot bigger than most and offered it for the night. Now I'm going crazy with things I think HAVE to be in order before next Friday and prioritizing. {Like my yet-to-be-finished Halloween banner for my mantle}

Remember this post? I've decided I need to busy myself with service and selfless acts, which also includes something I love. I'm throwing {with my MIL} a baby shower for April when we're in Utah for Thanksgiving. She's going with a retro/vintage cowboy theme {unless it's changed} so I am using that as a jumping off point. Oh, the ideas I'm coming up with! I've already ordered a few things which are a little more kitschy, but with a few modifications they'll fit into the theme flawlessly. It's the details that take something from good to fabulous, right?


{my favorite little pumpkin - the stem reminds me of a broomstick and a little bit of a witch's pointy hat}

Oh, and I'm proud of this bow I made. I was in a hurry and found tulle before I found my ribbon so I grabbed it and cut off a HUGE piece, doubled it on itself and then used it to tie up this wedding gift. I had so much left over on the ends {which I anticipated} and knew I wanted it pouffe. Here's what I ended up with. I love it!

2 comments:

Micah and Melinda said...

I know I say it all the time but when I grow up I want to be you!

TPlayer said...

I think you're awesome! I don't know if I ever really had a chance to tell you that. I noticed a lot fo the selfless acts you did so often. I don't know if anyone ever thanked you for your help with Amy's bridal shower, but THANK YOU!