Monday, October 04, 2010

Other Goods of the Thrifted Variety

Running on the fumes of a good-buy high, I schlepped my carcass to an estate sale in KCMo last week-ish.

What I found was the house of a modern-day hoarder. Walkways throughout the house from room to room. Claustrophobic...it's a good thing I'm not.

But down to the goodies. No one really cares what one leaves behind at an estate sale, only what is brought to a new home.

Velvet-like ribbon. Technically it's flocked satin, but untechnically it's fab. Bright colors. Unusual assortment. All for $6.

Brooches-cum-magnets. $1.50-$2 each. Pricey, but so much sparkle! I'll repurpose them for headbands. They'll be freaking adorable.

Porcelain plates. Oh how I wish there were four more of these. I'm trying to replace my current salad plates with something more matchy-matchy to my milk glass dinner plates and bowls...these will do for a start. $3 for four.

FRAMES! I can't get enough of old frames. The more ornate of the two needs a little glue and maybe a nail {for good measure} to bring it back to tip top pre-paint shape. Then it will turn into a memo board or calendar and sold off in the spring at our HANDMADE MARKET
Finally, two old mirrors. One spoiled, one soiled. Both will clean up and be the perfect addition to someone else's house. Again, goods for our Spring Handmade & Vintage Market!Those little cardboard boxes used to hold slides. They're a great size and very sturdy. They'll be perfect for altering.
The one on the left is a plastic frame and the one on the right is possibly a resin. Definitely not wood, but I'm not too terribly heartbroken about it. I have an awesome mirror I paid way too much for that has a plastic frame. It's hanging on my mirror wall and has done its job {of being pretty and reflective} perfectly. Two mirrors for $21{? I can't remember}

This is the top half of a rocking chair. I lugged it home from my Chicago Trip and I'm sooooo glad I did! Old Mr. NorthWind on its back, keeping the rocker going with each blow.
I'm debating staining him a darker color or painting him an antique white and distressing him to bring out his details. What do you think?
And these are nothing new, but they kept showing up in the background of my photos today and I remembered I never blogged about them! These are old evidence lockers. Cool, right? They look like they've done some hard time but still stand strong. The sections on the top hold a pair of shoes and the tall lockers are perfect for coats.

I LOVE them. My sister, Tara, was gracious enough to help me pick them up from Topeka when she visited about a year ago. My plan is to make them a barnish reddish color and actually use them as a coat closet in our front room. But...I think the best way to accomplish this is to have them professionally powder coated. I have no idea how much it would cost. Probably a pretty penny. So...in the meantime...they stand tall and stalwart in the garage.

The kicker? They were $10.

3 comments:

Kayleigh said...

I am so jealous of the lockers... I've always dreamed of having a set or two in my house.

But I might need a house first.

laura said...

love the brooches... and the salad plates... and the ribbon... okay i love it all!

i read somewhere that if you want something professionally powder coated to try an auto-body repair shop. might be worth looking into!

Life of a Sailor said...

hey its rinda. i love the lockers/coat closet! But leave them just the way they are! If only you can clean them up a bit and get that blue spray paint off. I wish we lived closer together; you and I would be furniture pals.