1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? For Christmas it's wrapping paper. But i'm not fun with it. I just get brown kraft paper (like what's used for shipping) and put all the Christmas ribbon I bought from Costco to good use. Easiest to store, really. So all I need to have is lots of ribbon on hand (which I tend to have anyway) and a roll of brown paper...perfect for any occasion.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial. It started when we were younger because of allergies in the family. I just like the convenience of not having to water or vacuum or put lights on my tree every year. With artificial, I can get somewhat heavy ornaments and they'll NEVER break the branch off the tree. I like the smell of real trees, but if I really care enough, I can get a tree air freshener thing...or just a real wreath.
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually right after Thanksgiving, but this year it wasn't until the 9th. If it had gotten any later I would have rather just skipped it....although, my tree is Gee---ooorrrr-jus. I did three layers of beaded/jeweled/glass garland and then put the ornaments on.
4. When do you take the tree down? no standing date. Just whenever we get around to it.
5. Favorite gift received as a child? for Christmas? I don't know if I got this for christmas but one year I got a Fussy Doll - she cried until you put her binky or thumb in her mouth and moved her arms and legs. Well, she cried until I put her in the tub with me. Then the wiring gave out. I still have her. She's in my memory box with some other things. OH! I remember this WAS for christmas one year. My mom made us each our own cabbage patch dolls...except they weren't cabbage patch, they were bigger and softer. I'm not sure if they were supposed to be cabbage patch because they were cheaper to make than to buy actual cabbage patch ones, but I LOVED them! each had a different hair color and outfit that my mom spent hours upon hours on (i'm sure) to make. Dang it, I wonder what happened to those...I think we may have given them away. that makes me sad now.
6. Do you have a nativity scene? I just bought one. I don't have it yet, though. A friend's mom was able to get this wholesale for me and I'm so excited!
7. Hardest person to buy for? My husband! oh my gosh, it's almost made Christmas not fun. No wonder he doesn't care for the holidays. I still don't have anything for him, really. It's so frustrating. I told him I might just end up having to get him giftcards or give him money. gah!
8. Easiest to buy for? Girls, really. I know what girls like more than what boys like. My family usually has some sort of wish list. It's easy to work from that.
9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Neither. Since we don't have kids, I don't see it as being very important and really, no one really cares yet.
10. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? hmmm...
11. Favorite Christmas Movie? I'm not going to be cliche and say Elf, because everyone loves that movie. I love the old school Miracle on 34th street. The one with Maureen O'Hara.
12. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? No, just wedding presents.
13. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? HAM! I love ham. and goodies from friends. mmm...nothing like homemade treats! and ham.
14. Clear lights or colored on the tree? White for sure. I never really liked the colored lights. I think they look awesome outside on trees (like, one color per tree) but on the house and in the house, white lights, please. I don't even like the LED lights. they have a bluish tint to them.
15. Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night and Carol of the Bells. Oh, and The Christmas song. (chestnuts roasting on an open fire....) Although, Evonne mentioned Jack Johnson's rudolph and now I'm curious. I haven't heard it before. Oh! and a more contemporary song by the Waitresses called Christmas Wrapping (or rapping - i don't know how it's spelled). Ryan hates hates HATES that song.
16. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Travel to family's homes. We're rotating with the in-laws. First year was with my fam, then by ourselves, this year his fam, next year mine (i think - we might stay at home, depending where we live). Or we might have everyone come to our house. We'll see. Ryan's brother is getting married so we'll try to coordinate with he and his fiance (by next christmas it'll be wife) so we can all be home for Christmas on the same years.
17. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? uh...is there anyone who can't?
18. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning. I never understood friend's growing up whose families opened all their gifts on Christmas Eve. I can see a traditional gift of pajamas, but I don't think I'd wrap those, just say, oh, let's get our new christmas pajamas on.
19. Most annoying thing about this time of year? People have seemed to forget the reason we celebrate Christmas. I think that's why my husband doesn't like it too much, either. It's all commercialism. It should be about Christ and the celebration of his birth. I love that it's turned into family traditions as well, but why not put more thoughts of the reason back into your day?
20. Favorite ornament theme or color? Last year I used leftover wedding decorations, so, pink and brown. This year it's red, white and silver. I think we'll have this tradition for awhile. It's seriously so pretty. I made a lot of my ornaments and repurposed things that weren't necessarily ornaments and made them into ornaments. i love the more playful christmas colors of red, lime green and pink/fuschia, so next year I might try to incorporate that.
21. Favorite for Christmas dinner? Ham, my mom's homemade rolls...oh those are awesome...cranberry sauce. Love it. and leftovers. and my fam makes THE best mashed potatoes - don't even need gravy...but if it's ham gravy - gimme some!
22. What do you want for Christmas this year? I buy myself way too many things to reallllly want something...so...world peace.