Tuesday, February 24, 2009

And I Enter My 27th Year

On Thursday of last week I started feeling anxious about my birthday. When I was little I'd always thought of myself as having accomplished so much more by the time I turned 27. I'm not sure why I didn't feel this same sense of ...urgency? no, that's not quite right...acuteness when I turned 26. Maybe it's because 27 is closer to 30 than 25, maybe it's because I have been feeling down lately. Maybe it's because I wish I had children at my ankles and tugging on my shirt, asking for more juice or wiping their goldfish cracker-encrusted fingers on my just-washed pants by now. Who knows.

Either way, I have some fabulous friends and family who know just how to make me appreciate everyone and everything I love and made my day truly spectacular.

My husband wished me a happy birthday in hushed tones early in the morning. I think it was before 6am, but both of us were rearranging or rolling over and trying to get more covers from the other. He's so sweet. And he's perfect for me.

Then my fab friends, Erin and Amber, completely spoiled me with lunch from my favorite Thai food restaurant, a cake and ice cream, and this beeeauutiful serving bowl and plate. I can't decide if I like the present or the box they came in more! They're both beautiful and JUST my style.
mmm...delicious! and it's already gone. devoured.
this box is huge! i'm thinking I'll use it to store plastic serving things - forks, spoons, napkins - you know.

While they were here for lunch I got another knock at the door and my in-laws had sent me this bouquet of flowers. EVERYONE should get flowers once or twice in their lives. It just makes you feel so special. Thanks Mom and Dad!


By this time I realized I'd gotten nothing done at work. If I took off a half day I'd feel obligated to work the afternoon and finish my morning stuff. Not much fun. So I ended up taking the day off. I have the best boss. Seriously. He's one of the funniest people I've met.

I was planning on just using my afternoon to paint the guest room or clean up the kitchen {which has yet to be touched - it's so disgusting right now} but I wasn't even given an hour before Amber called me again and told me I was being kidnapped at 3:30 and I MUST be ready to walk out the door. I was given a list of what to bring. I kind of figured they gave me extra things to throw me off the trail, but I'm a smart cookie and I figured it out. Amber is prego and it was something all 3 of us could do. I was told to wear comfortable clothes but bring something else to go to dinner in, makeup, a hairbrush {i wore my hair curly/wavy yesterday, so nixed that immediately} and something else I can't remember. I was thinking tanning - a guilty pleasure of mine - or massages. Well, prego girl can't go tanning, so massages it was! Hooray!

After my hour-long massage, Ryan picked me up and we headed to my dinner of choice and came back and hung out the rest of the evening. So even though Ryan and I make up our little family for now and we'll have to wait to add to it until later down the road, it was a great day and I really didn't have a minute to be sad, thanks to everyone.

I know I'm right where I need to be. And right when I need to be.

6 comments:

exclusive_remedy said...

Aw, I am so glad you had a good day girl. I miss you and wish I could have been there too (not to mention I really wish I had been there for the massage!). Love you tons!

Micah and Melinda said...

Happy birthday you wonderful, smart, talented, beautiful, sexy woman! I am so glad we have renewed our friendship!

Becka Beacham said...

I'm glad you had a fantastic day! You're a wonderful friend who deserves to be treated like a queen.

Vicki said...

I am so happy to hear you spent your day being spoiled! There is no other way to do it. :) Isn't it funny how we unconsciously set deadlines for ourselves, and don't really realize until we get there?? But, yes we are in the correct where, when and what because God knows what is best for us (certainly better than we do) and we don't always know what he is up to. Sneaky! I love you, girl and miss you!!!

Kerry said...

Yay! Happy Birthday! It sounds like your day was perfect.

hillary said...

You had a great day! I wish I could have celebrated with you! I'm glad you have such good friends there!